Still Plateauing & It’s Maddening!

I’m getting a little frustrated with gaining and losing the same 2 pounds over the last 5 months. I’ve been following Weight Watchers points plus program and attending meetings since November 2012.

My weight gain this week brings my total lost down to 23 pounds.

As you can see in the chart below (and you know from reading this blog) I’ve been keeping up my fitness level, but it’s lead to gains, not loss in weight.

To say I’m frustrated is an understatement.

ImageAside from not losing weight this week, my Weight Watchers meeting was a bit frustrating for me on Tuesday. I’d brought my B.A.A. 5K medal with me, because I wanted to talk about it as a non-scale victory, but I was never given a chance to bring it up.

Instead, the leader harped on “what are you going to do TONIGHT to be more mindful about your eating”. The night of the meeting, I was having dinner at a Boston Women Communicators meeting. Since I’m President of that group, I welcome everyone to the meeting. So, after selecting lots of veggies on my dinner plate, the most “mindful” eating I have is to ask a table mate to keep my dinner from being cleared away while I’m speaking.

I know from being employed by Weight Watchers as a meeting Leader in the past that each meeting does have a set topic, but Leaders should also be able to respond to whatever weight loss issues are brought up in the meeting room. I’m thinking of going to try out a different meeting with a different Leader. I don’t know what else to change.

Friends and readers who follow Weight Watchers, do you have any suggestions for me about how you keep motivated while plateauing?

I have been to my doctor to have my thyroid levels checked, but don’t have the results from that yet.

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Still Plateauing & It’s Maddening!

  1. Have you tried tracking your fruit and counting it as points? Sometimes I eat more than I think of 0 pt things and it can add to a plateau.

    • I do record fruit in my tracker on etools but I don’t count it as points.

      Interesting idea regarding counting points for it. I hadn’t thought of that. What points level do you assign?

      I get in at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies most days, trying to stick to the WW good health guidelines.

  2. If you frequently eat the same thing for some meals — e.g. always eating oatmeal for breakfast — then it’s time to change things up. Our bodies learn how we fuel them and what we do (activity) and figure out the most efficient way to process that. So, if you always eat oatmeal for breakfast for 4 months your body figures that out and learns how to digest the oatmeal most efficiently. On day one of eating oatmeal your body might use 95% of the calories ingested to digest the oatmeal. On day 90 our body maybe uses 65% of those calories ingested to digest the oatmeal so guess what happens to the other 35% of the calories? The same is true for activity. While you’ve obviously maintained a level of activity maybe it’s time to add/change something. Maybe add a strength training day? The PPV that you earn might be lower than normal but building lean muscle will help you burn more calories.

    • Thank you!

      I am someone who tends to eat the same breakfast daily (a fiber & protein bar on the drive to my office) and on the day of my WW meeting I get the exact same lunch from Panera Bread and eat it during the meeting.

      I’d never thought about my body adjusting to a food routine.

  3. … came here from the blog hop 🙂

    I’ve been feeling quite “stuck” too. I’m close to goal weight, but not there yet. As others have mentioned, I’m fairly sure I am stuck in my routine ruts (elliptical everyday) but I HAVE tried to shake it up (added in Zumba and stationary bike) but still haven’t really seen changes. I know it’s the eating … I’m not a weight watcher gal, but I do track calories in MyFitnessPal. I had a lot of success at the start (a year ago, dropped 15 quick), then lost 15 more over several months … I’ll love to lose the final 15, but like you said, just gaining/losing the same few pounds over the past few months.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s